Dr. Arvind G Kulkarni Top Orthopedic Spine Surgeon in India
Consultant Spinal Surgeon
Dr. Arvind G Kulkarni
MS-Ortho, D Ortho , FCPS- Spine Canada , FNUH-Spine Singapore,
Fellow-Adult & Paediatric Spine Care - Australia
My spinal fusion surgery was a great success at Dheeraj Bojwani Group in India. From my first appointment at the hospital to my last consultation visit every aspect of the course of treatment was full of care and warmth with utmost perfection. Thanks to the group with all my heart. I will surely recommend them to anyone on need of spinal fusion surgery for other various treatment options that the group deals into.
- Bombay Hospital
- Saifee Hospital
- Hiranandani Hospital
- Chowpatty Medical Institute
- The Apollo Clinic
- Breach Candy Hospital
Surgeries performed by Dr. Kulkarni
He has performed more than 2000 spinal surgeries till date (1500 primary and 500 revisions). He is an expert in minimally invasive spinal surgery, artificial disc replacement, deformity correction and revision spine surgery.
- Micro-Endoscopic Discectomy for Prolapsed Intervertebral Disc (PID) – 100 cases
- Micro-Endoscopic laminotomy & Decompression (Microlumbar Laminoplasty) for Lumbar Canal Stenosis (Spinal Stenosis) – 150 cases
- Laminectomy +/- Instrumented Fusion for Lumbar Canal Stenosis – 100 cases
- Artificial Disc Replacement (Total Disc Replacement) for Chronic Low Backpain and Cervical Pain and Spondylosis – 75 cases
- Spinal Fusion for Chronic Low Backpain, Spondylolisthesis, Spinal Trauma , Spinal Infections, Spinal Tumors etc – 400 cases
- Anterior Cervical Decompression & Fusion for Cervical Myelopathy, Cervical Radiculopathy, Spinal Trauma, Spinal Tumors etc – 100 cases
- Cervical Laminectomy and fusion for Cervical Myelopathy, Spinal Trauma, Spinal Tumors etc – 150 cases
- Cervical Laminoplasty for Cervical Myelopathy – 50 cases
- Atlantoaxial Fixation and Fusion for Atlantoaxial Instability (secondary to Rheumatoid Arthritis, Trauma, Developmental causes) – 50 cases
- Occipitocervical Fusion for Trauma, Tumors, Compression etc around the craniovertebral junction – 25 cases
- Deformity Correction - Scoliosis (Paediatric & Adult), Kyphosis (due to Scheuermann's disease, Post-infective, Post-tubercular, Post-traumatic, Osteoporosis etc) – 200 cases
- Thoracoscopic Anterior Release & Fusion for Scoliosis – 50 cases
- Anterior Spinal Decompression & Fusion at all levels (Cervical, Thoracic & Lumbar) – 150 cases
- Posterior Spinal Decompression & Fusion at all levels (Cervical, Thoracic & Lumbar) - 400 cases
- Vertebroplasty & Kyphoplasty for Osteoporotic Vertebral Fractures, Metastasis to the Spine etc – 50 cases
- Surgeries for Spinal Trauma – 100 cases
- Surgeries for Spinal Tumors – 75 cases
- Facet joint injections – 200 cases
- Facet joint injections – 200 cases
- Transforaminal Epidural Injections – 200 cases
POSTGRADUATE MEDICAL QUALIFICATIONS
- M.S: (Master of Orthopaedic Surgery) Post Graduate Degree in Orthopaedic Surgery from Seth G.S. Medical College and K.E.M. Hospital* affiliated to University of Mumbai, India.
- D’ Orth (Diploma in Orthopaedic Surgery): from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Mumbai.
- FCPS (Fellow of College of Physicians and Surgeons): from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Mumbai.
- Fellowship in Spinal Surgery: Department of Neurosurgery, KEM Hospital & Seth G S Medical College, Mumbai.
- Fellowship in Spinal Surgery: Department of Orthopaedics, National University Hospital, Singapore.
- Fellowship in Spinal Surgery: Department of Orthopaedics, St George Hospital and University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
- Fellowship in Adult Spinal Surgery: Spine Division, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto, Canada.
- Fellowship in Paediatric Spine Surgery: Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada
- Fellowship in Paediatric Spine Surgery: The Royal Alexandria Hospital for Children at Westmead Sydney, Australia.
AFFILIATIONS [Life - Member]
- Association of Spine Surgeons of India [ASSI].
- Indian Orthopaedic Association [IOA].
- Bombay Orthopaedic Society, Mumbai [BOS]
- Paediatric Orthopaedic Society of India [POSI].
- Karnataka Orthopaedic Association [KOA].
- Orthopaedic Association of South Indian States [OASIS].
- National Merit Scholarship for securing 69th rank at the state level in the Karnataka S.S.L.C. Examinations in 1988.
- Secured 94th rank for the state in the Common Medical Entrance Test, Karnataka Board 1990.
- Secured 17th rank for the country in the All India Post Graduate Entrance Examination, uary 1997.
- Awarded the 'Gopalkrishnan Fellowship in Arthroscopy' by the Indian Arthroscopy Society.
- Selected for the prestigious ‘Neuro-Spine fellowship’ conducted by Dr Atul Goel (the pioneer of C1-C2 lateral mass fixation), Head of Department, Neurosurgery Department, KEM Hospital and Seth G. S. Medical College, Mumbai.
- Selected for the prestigious ‘National University Hospital [Singapore] Clinical Fellowship in Spine’ starting September 10th, 2003 (15 months) under the supervision of Prof. Hee-Kit Wong.
- Awarded the esteemed ‘Scoliosis Research Society (SRS) Scholarship’ to attend 39th Annual Scoliosis Research Society Meeting at Buenos Aires, Argentina in Sept, 2004.
- Selected for the prestigious ‘St George Hospital [Sydney, Australia] Clinical Fellowship in Spine’ starting December 2004.
- Awarded the 'Gold medal - Depuy–Acromed Best Paper Publication Award' by the Association of Spine Surgeons of India (ASSI) for the year 2005 during the Annual Conference at Bangalore, India.
- Awarded the esteemed ‘Scoliosis Research Society (SRS) Scholarship’ to attend 40th Annual Scoliosis Research Society Meeting at Miami, Florida, USA in October 2005.
- Invited as ‘Guest Editor’ for the Journal Neurology India - Spinal Supplement isuue – December 2005 edition.
CONFERENCES AND WORKSHOPS ATTENDED
- Bimonthly “Bombay Orthopaedic Society” meetings from March 1997 onwards till September 2003.
- “Advanced Fracture Course” organised by LTMG, Sion (Sion Municipal Hospital, Mumbai) in October 1998.
- “Posterior Lumbar InterBody Fusion (PLIF)” Workshop conducted by Dr P.S. Ramani at LTMG, Sion-Mumbai in November 1998.
- “Western India Regional Orthopaedic Conference (WIROC)” 1998 and 2000, Mumbai.
- “Spinal Instrumentation Workshop” during “Paediatric Orthopaedic Conference” in February 2000 at Nehru Centre, Mumbai.
- “Indo–German Shoulder Workshop” March 2001, Bombay Hospital, Mumbai.
- “Basic Arthroscopy Workshop” at Bandra Bhabha Hospital organised by Bombay Orthopaedic Society in August 2001
- “Cadaveric Flap Workshop” at J.J. Hospital, Mumbai in August 2001.
- “Orthopaedic Oncology Update” at Tata Memorial Cancer Hospital, Mumbai in October 2001.
- “Basic Ilizarov Course 2001” at Sir HN Hospital, Mumbai in June 2001 conducted by ASAMI – INDIA.
- “Advanced Techniques in Cervical Spine Surgery – Practical Anatomy Workshop [St. Louis University, USA]” at NUH, Singapore from 11-13th August, 2004.
- Scoliosis Research Society” -39th Annual Meeting at Buenos Aires Argentina, 6-9th September, 2004.
- “Innovative Treatment Options in Spine Surgery” – Buenos Aires Argentina, 6th September 2004.
- “ Spine Society of Australia” – Annual Conference at Auckland, New Zealand, April, 2005.
- Stryker Spine Symposium” – Ayer’s Rock, Northern Territory, Australia, May, 2005.
- “Scoliosis Research Society” - 40th Annual Meeting at Miami, Florida, USA 27-30thh Oct, 2005.
- “ Adult Spinal Deformity/ Immature Spine” – Miami, Florida, USA 27th October, 2005
- “AO Advanced Spine Course” – Sun Valley, Idaho, USA, 23 – 26th February2006.
- “North American AO Spine Fellows Forum” – Banff, Alberta, Canada, 9 – 12th March 2006.
- “Canadian Spine Society Annual Conference” – Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada23 – 26th March 2006.
- Current Concepts in the Management of Paediatric and Adult Scoliosis” – Hospital for Special Surgery, New York, USA 9-10th June 2006 (Scoliosis Research Society Workshop).
- Registered for “Midas Rex Hands-on Workshop” – Prince of WalesOrthopaedic Research Facility, Randwick, NSW on September 22, 2006.
- “AOA-NZOA CSM meeting” Canberra, October 2006.
- “Elevating Best Practice in Spine Surgery” – Sydney, November 8-9th 2006.
- Kulkarni AG, Tamer S, Ashley H, Diwan AD. The Swimmer’s view for cervical facet injections. Eur Spine J. 2006 Jul;15(7):1150-2.
- Kulkarni AG, Hee HT. Adjacent level discitis after anterior cervical discectomy and fusion. A case report. Eur Spine J.2006 Oct;15 Suppl 17:559-63.
- Goel A, Kulkarni AG, Sharma P. Reduction of fixed atlantoaxial dislocation: A report of an experience with 24 cases. J Neurosurg Spine. 2005 Apr;2(4):505-9
- Kulkarni AG, Goel A , Thirupathy S, Desai K. Extradural arachnoid cysts. A study of 7 cases. British Journal of Neurosurgery. 2004 Oct;18(5):484-8
- Kulkarni AG, Kulkarni GK. Para-articular osteochondroma of the talocalcaneal joint – a case report. The Foot Journal. 2004.Dec ;14:210-213
- Goel A, Kulkarni AG. Mobile and reducible atlantoaxial dislocation in presence of occipitalized atlas: Report on treatment of 8 cases by direct lateral mass plate and screw fixation. Spine. 2004 Nov; 29(22):E520-523
- Goel A, Kulkarni AG. Screw implantation in the spinous process of axis for occipitocervical fusion. J Clin Neurosci. 2004 Sep;11(7):735-737
- Kulkarni AG, Goel A, Muzumdar D. Solitary osteochondroma arising from the thoracic facet joint--case report. Neurologia medico-chirurgica (Tokyo). 2004 May; 44(5): 255-7
- Kulkarni AG, Prabhu V, Wade R, Katre RN. Complex elbow dislocation in a child. BHJ. 2002; 44(1): 265-266
- Kulkarni AG, Prabhu V. Tuberculosis tenosynovitis presenting as carpal tunnel syndrome – A case report with review of literature. BHJ. 2002; 44(2):102-103
- Kulkarni AG, Diwan AD. Prosthetic Lumbar Disc Replacement. Neurology India. 2006; 53(4);499-505
- Goel A, Sharma P, Dange N, Kulkarni AG. Techniques in the treatment of craniovertebral instability. Neurology India. 2006; 53(4); 525-533
- Kulkarni AG, Goel A. Re: Al-Barbarawi, Sekhon LHS. Protection of the C1 posterior arch in atlantal lateral mass fixation: technical case report. J Clin Neuroscience 2005 12(1), 59-61.J Clin Neurosci. 2005 Aug;12(6):726
- Kulkarni AG, Goel A. Re: Dong Y, Xia Hong M, Jianyi L, et al: Quantitative anatomy of the lateral mass of the atlas. Spine. 2003; 28:860-3.Spine. 2004 Aug 1;29(15):1707.
- Kulkarni AG, Goel A. Re: Tan M, Wang H, Wang Y, et al: Morphometric evaluation of screw fixation in atlas via posterior arch and lateral mass. Spine. 2003; 28:888-95. Spine. 2004 Aug 1;29(15):1706
- Kulkarni AG, Hee HT, Wong HK. Solis cage (PEEK) for anterior cervical fusion: Preliminary radiological results with emphasis on fusion and subsidence. The Spine Journal
- Kulkarni AG, Goel A. Vertical atlanto-axial index: a new craniovertebral index. Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques
- Kulkarni AG, Chu G, Fehlings MG. Pyogenic intradural abscess: a case report. Spine
Manuscripts accepted for publication:
SCIENTIFIC PAPER PRESENTATION
- Calcaneal Reconstruction in Intraarticular Joint Depression Type of Fractures [Paper presented at the Bombay Orthopaedic Society Meeting held at Dr. R.N.Cooper Hospital, Mumbai on 29th July 2001] (First author).
- The Value of Orthogonal Plain Radiographs in Determining the Position of Thoracic Pedicle Screws [Paper presented in APOA (Asia-Pacific Orthopaedic Association) Conference, September 2004 at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia] (First author).
- The Value of Orthogonal Plain Radiographs in Determining the Position of Thoracic Pedicle Screws [ORAL & POSTER PRESENTATION: Spine Society of Australia, Annual Conference, April 2005 at Auckland, New Zealand] (First author).
- Segmental fixation of C1-C2 for atlantoaxial instability [ORAL & POSTER PRESENTATION: Spine Society of Australia, Annual Conference, April 2005 at Auckland, New Zealand] (First author).
- Thoracic disc disease – Case presentation: Presented at 6th Annual Stryker Spine Symposium, 29th May, 2005 at Ayer’s Rock, Northern Territory, Australia (First author).
- Preliminary radiological results of Solis (PEEK) cage for anterior cervical fusion [POSTER PRESENTATION: World Spine Society, III Annual Conference, July 2005 at Rio Di Janerio] (First author).
- Early aggressive treatment of osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures by percutaneous vertebroplasty. A case series [POSTER PRESENTATION: World Spine Society, III Annual Conference, July 2005 at Rio Di Janerio] (First author).
- Management of Multilevel Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy (CSM) by Posterior Decompression and Instrumented fusion: Indications, Results and Outcomes in a Series of 93 cases – research presentation for Prof Harry Botterell Lectureship 5th December, 2005, TWH, Toronto (First author).
- Outcome analysis of surgical treatment of multilevel cervical spondylotic myelopathy (CSM) – presented at North American AO Spine Fellows Forum – Banff, Alberta, Canada, 10th March, 2006 (First author)
- Management of Multilevel Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy (CSM) by Posterior Decompression and Instrumented fusion: Indications, Results and Outcomes in a Series of 93 cases – presented at CSS (Canadian Spine Society) annual conference at Lake Louise, Alberta , March 2006 (First author).
- Posterior Column Reconstruction with auto-graft rib following en-bloc tumour resection. [POSTER PRESENTATION] - presented at CSS (Canadian Spine Society) annual conference at Lake Louise, Alberta , March 2006 (First author).
- Intra-operative traction in the management of scoliosis. Jhaveri S, Lewis S, Kulkarni AG. presented at CSS (Canadian Spine Society) annual conference at Lake Louise, Alberta , March 2006.
- Management of Multilevel Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy (CSM) by Posterior Decompression and Instrumented fusion: Indications, Results and Outcomes in a Series of 93 cases – accepted for NASS Meeting, Seattle, September, 2006 [Poster Presentation – First Author].
- Posterior Column Reconstruction with auto-graft rib following en-bloc tumour resection. [ORAL PRESENTATION] –AOA-NZOA CSM meeting, Canberra, October 2006 (First author).
- Posterior Column Reconstruction with auto-graft rib following en-bloc tumour resection. [ORAL PRESENTATION] –ASSI meeting, Ahmedabad, January 2007 (First author).
- Paediatric Cervical Spine Trauma – patterns of injury plus efficacy and safety of third-generation spinal instrumentation [ORAL PRESENTATION]: Spine Society of Australia, Annual Conference, April 2007 at Hobart, Australia] (First author).
- Paediatric Cervical Spine Trauma – patterns of injury plus efficacy and safety of third-generation spinal instrumentation [POSTER PRESENTATION]: IMAST – Bahamas, July 2007(First author).
Some of the common countries from which patients travel to India for surgery are:
Below are the downloadable links that will help you to plan your medical trip to India in a more organized and better way. Attached word and pdf files gives information that will help you to know India more and make your trip to India easy and memorable one.